These are several of the pots I focused on while at Watershed last month. This is the second batch of oil bottles with saucers/stands. I tried several approaches for the bottles themselves as well as their saucers. The serving dish with 3 compartments is one from the soda kiln. The last 2 pieces are the double shot and Americano carafes. At some point in the future these may show themselves in a set of espresso paraphernalia.
I just got home from a 2 week residency at Watershed Center for the Ceramic Arts in Newcastle, Maine. Once again, I was reminded of the importance of getting out of my own studio and seeing things with new eyes and being being surrounded by an excellent group artists who are thinking and talking about their work and pushing forward.
My plan before arriving was to work on some serving dish ideas based on the cross vault arch form. I soon realized that the focus of my time would be more about material than a specific form. We dug and mixed clay from a mound that had been delivered in the early 70’s to be made into bricks in the factory that is now Watershed’s studio building. The brick clay is very coarse with pebbles and not nearly as plastic as the commercially mixed clay that I’m accustomed to using. Stepping out of my comfort zone was obviously what I needed and learning how to work with this clay and have its character come across in the finished piece became my challenge.
One of my fantasies in going to Watershed was to fire earthenware in a soda kiln – using sodium vapor as the exterior glaze. This has been an interest for several years but I haven’t had the opportunity until now. Most of the group fired the kiln together and we were excited with the results. The red clay darkened to range from deep terra cottoa to dark brown and where a light terra sigillata had been applied, the surface remained light or flashed for a nice contrast with the dark clay. Below is a glimpse from the unloading. I’ll add more pictures when I have them.